Monday, June 11, 2007

Unless Murray Walker is very much mistaken, Lewis Hamilton could be rookie world champion…

After his sensational Formula One win in Montreal yesterday, everything was looking incredibly promising for rookie British driver Lewis Hamilton.

The perfection and maturity he showed in winning at one of the most difficult tracks in the world filled the sports pages of today's newspapers...

But now legendary racing commentator Murray Walker – famous for his over-hyped commentaries and nonsense quotes uttered in the white heat of racing - has come out of retirement to talk-up prospects for the 22-year-old. Oh no....!

Much-loved Murray, whose catch-phrase was 'Unless I'm very much mistaken' (and he usually was!) told the BBC

It’s my considered opinion that Lewis Hamilton will go on to be one of the greatest drivers of all time…There aren't enough superlatives for what Lewis Hamilton is doing race after race…it is unprecedented in the history of Formula One.

I've been watching Formula One since it began and I have never seen anything like this in my life, it is quite incredible.

It's more than feasible that he could win the championship this year, which would be incredible.
It’s easy to see why Hamilton has set Formula One alight. He has been on the podium in every one of his first six world championship races and already leads the championship by eight points.

The British Grand Prix at Silverstone, Northants next month will be one of the most anticipated for decades...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm a really big fan of FI and have been for many years.

I backed Lewis to win the World Championship at the start of the season and one or two people said I was off my trolley - what do they say now I ask?

The reason I backed Lewis was purely because of his exploits in F2 last season.

So my money is looking pretty especially now he's favourite for the world title, still available at 5/4 to win in the USA on Sunday and poor old Fernando is moaning of favouritism in the press.

In all, I seriously believe that we are starting to witness Britain's say to Tiger Woods - a true sporting giant for whom the sky is the limit.

So eat your heart out Schumacher, Mansell, Hill and Senna - the true king is ready to reign.

P/S There are packages available for Silverstone from as little as £99 for the whole three days and I for one will definitely be there!

Anonymous said...

geoffrey:

(from phil, one someone else's computer that won't recognise me!!!)


sounds like silverstone will be a great weekend - if you can see the cars!!

i went there many years ago for a GP and while the atmosphere was something, the view was atrocious.

it's a flat airfield, and there's better tracks - for spectators, ie Donington and dare i say Cadwell!!!

Anonymous said...

geoffrey:

(from phil, one someone else's computer that won't recognise me!!!)


sounds like silverstone will be a great weekend - if you can see the cars!!

i went there many years ago for a GP and while the atmosphere was something, the view was atrocious.

it's a flat airfield, and there's better tracks - for spectators, ie Donington and dare i say Cadwell!!!