Tuesday, June 26, 2007

BREAKING NEWS: Lincs Tory MP defects to Labour...

BBC

In his resignation letter, Quentin Davies, MP for Grantham and Stamford Quentin Davies told Tory Leader David Cameron:

Under your leadership the Conservative Party appears to me to have ceased collectively to believe in anything, or to stand for anything.

It has no bedrock. It exists on shifting sands. A sense of mission has been replaced by a PR agenda.

Although you have many positive qualities you have three, superficiality, unreliability and an apparent lack of any clear convictions, which in my view ought to exclude you from the position of national leadership to which you aspire and which it is the presumed purpose of the Conservative Party to achieve.

Believing that as I do, I clearly cannot honestly remain in the party. I do not intend to leave public life.


Mr Davies said he had "found increasingly I am naturally in agreement" with the Labour Party and praised Mr Brown as "a leader I have always greatly admired, who I believe is entirely straightforward, and who has a towering record, and a clear vision for the future of our country which I fully share".

Welcome to the Labour Party Quentin.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Labour is a bit like Slough
It's only fit for Tories now

We welcome comrade Quentin though
if it's come to this I'd better go

Anonymous said...

And some wondered why I rubbished the ludicrous Davies on this blog a couple of weeks back.

The worst thing that you can really say is that Quentin and Labour were made for each other. Welcome to the party indeed.

fairdealphil said...

Any centre-ground politician knows the truth, as Quentin clearly does, that Gordon Brown is the best person to lead Britain by a mile.

Anonymous said...

What a great day for Britain!

Not sure Stamford or (choke) Grantham will see it that way, though ....

Anonymous said...

In 2005 Quentin Davies was elected as CONSERVATIVE MP for Grantham and Stamford.

Given that the Labour Party were not just beaten but thrashed in Grantham and Stamford in 2005 I believe that Quentin Davies should resign the seat immediately and let the people decide.

He is an absolute disgrace who I have no respect for.

I am absolutely sure that the electorate of Grantham and Stamford feel the same.

fairdealphil said...

that's exactly what you said when Lincolnshire MEP Bill Newton Dunn left the sinking ship too.

Anonymous said...

Have just spoken to some close contacts in South Lincolnshire and its emerging this evening that Quentin Davies' defection has nothing to do with policy but more to do with the fact that his local party had been thinking of de-selecting him as far back as January 2006.

In 2005 Quentin Davies was elected as CONSERVATIVE MP for Grantham and Stamford.

Given that the Labour Party were not just beaten but thrashed in Grantham and Stamford in 2005 I believe that Quentin Davies should resign the seat immediately and let the people decide.

He is an absolute disgrace who I have no respect for.

I am absolutely sure that the electorate of Grantham and Stamford feel the same.

Anonymous said...

Imagine not being respected by Geoffrey Brooking.

How could you live with yourself?

fairdealphil said...

geoffrey:

i get the distinct feeling you're repeating yourself.