Tuesday, January 02, 2007

A good day for democracy...?

Full marks to John Prescott for saying what most decent people are thinking about the circumstances of Saddam Hussein's execution.

Mobile phone footage widely available on the internet apparently shows Saddam being told to "go to hell" by people attending the hanging, while the ex-leader mocks their "bravery".

Mr Prescott described the scenes were "deplorable" and says those responsible for the scenes should be "ashamed".

Whatever your views on capital punishment and specifically whether Saddam should have been hanged, Prescott is right to speak out.

Personally, I have no wish to see the footage. I thought the newspaper photos were awful enough.

I appreciate the need for the Iraqi people to be convinced that Saddam was actually dead.

But to me, the execution by the Iraqi Government - complete with men in leather jackets and balaclavas - appeared no different to murders of hostages filmed by terrorists.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The ex dictator deservced what he got.

If I'd have had my way I'd have shown the footage on the late night news and raised a glass when he fell into the gallows.

fairdealphil said...

geoffrey:

i respect your view, and pleased to live in a democracy where i can disagree with it!!

Anonymous said...

I agree with your sentiments Phil. Like you, I did not view the official or unofficial filming. I disagree with state "murder" - vengeance more like. The unofficial filming by officials present and approved by the Iraqi Justice Ministry has not served the Iraqi judicial system well. Perhaps we should not be too surprised given that the particilants lived under a dictatorship for so long?

I am pleased that we Europeans are opposed to a death sentence regardless of how heinous the crime.