Monday, August 18, 2008

The Ugley women of Oz and Herts...

This rather bizarre story about ugly women running on the wires today makes me pleased I don't live in Mount Isa...

It reminds me of a tale I first heard in the early 1970s from my old friend, the late John Knight, who was Chief Sub-Editor on the Welwyn and Hatfield Times.

He had me in fits of laughter when he told about a story run in the Times about the Women's Institute in the village of Ugley near Bishops Stortford, who had grown so tired of the obvious jokes that they changed their name from Ugley Women's Institute to the Women's Institute of Ugley...

But now the Ugley Vicar disputes the authenticity of the tale.

So who do you believe...?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've come to this a bit late, but I can absolutely guarantee that it is "The Ugley Women's Institute". I've seen their programme, and they have a regular column in our monthly parish magazine.