Tuesday, December 05, 2006

All in a day's work...

Stormy weather brought a call from my old friend Reg Howard, Mayor of Market Deeping.

A large conifer had blown down and was blocking Towngate East near a bend in the road.

I alerted the Emergency Highways team at Lincolnshire County Council. But with many more trees down across the county, they couldn’t give a time of arrival.

Reg and I were worried that looming darkness would add to the hazard, so I nipped back home for my trusty handsaw.

Sadly, trusty had turned rusty and it didn’t exactly slice the timber like butter.

I did manage to clear most of the debris from the road, and was almost through the main trunk, when the Highways Team transit van arrived from Grantham like the calvery.

A chain-saw in the hands of a skilled operator made swift work of what was left, and within five minutes the team were on their way to the next emergency.

Their day had started at 5am on Sunday and they were still going strong.

Despite the large number of urgent calls they’d dealt with, it was impressive that within an hour of my initial call, they’d arrived, done the job and were on their way!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

More havy wind and rain forecast from tonight!

Anonymous said...

Praise for LCC from you Phil is very rare - something to cherish I think.

fairdealphil said...

It's not the first time, but when praise is due, I'll give it...i'm working up to say some supportive things about SKDC and even John Hayes!

Anonymous said...

Supportive of John Hayes!

Isn't that going a little too far?

fairdealphil said...

bruno:

you haven't seen what i'm going to say yet!!

(and nor have I....)

fairdealphil said...

bruno:

i would have you would have been a big fan of Mr Hayes...i seem to recall him, in his maiden speech to the House, describing us South Lincs fen-folk from the sticks as carrot-crunchers or something similar...

actually, i think he said we were simple, god-fearing people....don't quote me (or sue)...i haven't checked the record...